History of the 10th HG Rifle & Pistol club
When the post war Home Guard was disbanded in 1956, the M.O.D instructed the ex members to form civilian rifle clubs to keep skilled in marksmanship, offering the free loan of .22 Lee Enfields.
This club was founded by former members of the 10th Battalion of the Suffolk H.G, hence the title. One of the tasks that the H.G used to have was the defense of RAF Stradishall, (now HMP Highpoint), so permission to use the small arms range on the airfield was given. The 600yd Army range at Thetford in Norfolk was also used, alongside the 2nd and 3rd Battalions. An interest in pistol shooting was starting to develop and as a temporary measure the Gibraltar Barracks small arms range was used, but a need for the club’s own range fast became apparent.
The secretary Ed Richardson, who was the driving force behind the club for over 40 years, arranged the lease of a flint quarry that was excavated by hand, and over the next 30 years the Range was extended and improved on, becoming one of the East of England’s premier shooting centre’s, hosting the County Pistol Championships and the British Pistol Club Eastern Area Championships.
We have had one member representing the Country in the Olympics on two separate occasions, and several others at International and National level, but shooters of all standards are just as welcome, competitive or not.
In 1996 a Sports Council Grant enabled the club to purchase the freehold of the range complex and with funds already saved a new clubhouse was built, unfortunately this coincided with the handgun ban, which led to many members leaving shooting altogether, however, those that stayed took up the challenge with the new disciplines.
Today the club is in good health with excellent facilities for shooting .22lr—.455.